Monday, March 20, 2017
Teton Sports Deer Hunter 0 Sleeping Bag - Review
Today Luke is reviewing the Teton Sports Deer Hunter 0 Sleeping Bag. Can it handle temps down to that temp? Find out now!
Amazon Link : https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sleeping-Weather-Camping-Hunting/dp/B00A4VLG6C
Teton Link : http://www.tetonsports.com/Sleeping-Bags/Canvas/Deer-Hunter-0.htm#.WKHolLGZNBw
Price : Retail $89 but can be found a bit cheaper on Amazon at the time of filming
Stated Specs :
Size 90" x 39"
Size (packed) 38" x 9.5" x 9.5"
Pack Weight 8.5 lbs
Temp Rating 0°F
Liner 100% Brushed Poly Flannel
Fill SuperLoft Elite™ 4-Channel Hollow Fiber
Zipper Left or Right Zip
Storage Three Roll up Compression Straps
- Double-layer construction entire width and length of bag increases warmth and durability
- Heavy-duty canvas shell resists water
- Sturdy no-snag two-way zippers with metal pulls
- Full-length zipper baffle reduces drafts
- Right- and left-hand zippers let you zip together two Deer Hunter bags
- Rated for cold temperatures
- Mummy-style hood keeps head or pillow off the ground
- The large size means comfort! Lots of wiggle room to sprawl out any way that you want to.
- The flannel fabric is awesome! Feels great against the skin. Very soft. Also if feels thicker than other similar products on the market.
- Excellent quality. Very good zippers. Good stitching.
- Built in compression straps are a plus
- Very durable
- Outside material is water resistant. That doesn’t mean that you should sleep in the rain with it but if you are in a damp environment, it will serve you well. Also good for damp mornings in your tent
Not really suited to take you down to 0F. When the temps dropped into the upper teens, I woke up a few times chilled and that is due to the design. This isn’t a close fitting sleeping bag like a mummy bag so any space that is around you is known as dead space. In other words, since this bag is so big and will be away from you skin, it won’t keep you as warm as a sleeping bag would. With some good thermals this bag will take you comfortably to right at 20F or at least, that is the case for me. Every human body is different and just how warm they sleep will be different too. Keep that in mind.
Since the bag is so wide, the drawstring baffles are useless unless you have 3ft wide shoulders. Cold air seeped past my shoulders all night, no matter my sleeping position with the drawstrings pulled as tight as possible and my head buried underneath.
The Flannel isn’t truly cotton flannel, it’s polyester.
I’ve seen reports of the red coloring from the flannel coming off on peoples clothing. I haven’t had that issue but I wanted to mention it. If you order one, keep that in mind.