"hey luke my name is **** im 17 and have been watching your incredible vidoes for 2 or so months now. I am planning on a AP hike this summer starting july 16 and im going from MD to Maine. I am very well fit considering i am a hockey player and an extreme outdoor enthusiast as you are. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on what to bring and any other advice. Thanks Keep Truckin"
"Hey there *****,
how are you my friend?
Thanks you for watching my videos and for the kind words. It means a lot.
As for your trek coming up in July, I do have some recommendations for you.
* Pack as light as you possibly can. Be smart about it and take what you truly need. It's always better to have it than not.
* Make sure that your pack fits PERFECTLY! This is super important. Carrying a pack that doesn't fit right for a day or two is one thing, doing it for longer periods of time it can destroy you.
* Use your gear and get comfortable with it now. Don't wait until it's time to go on your travels. You need to learn what works, what doesn't and what the weaknesses are with your gear. If something doesn't work right for your setup, replace it.
* Allow yourself additional time to reach your destination. Planning is great but once you are on the trail sticking to a schedule of so many miles a day doesn't always work out. You may be tired and slow one day, you may have a blister that needs to heal, etc. Allow extra time for the unknowns.
* Know your trail is very important. Make sure you have good maps and details of the trek you are doing.
* Check on trail conditions before your feet hit the ground. Check forums, call ranger stations, etc.
I hope that helps my friend.
Ps. As for what to bring, well that depends on what type of backpacker you are and what type of gear that you have. If you can send me a list of items that you have I could make some suggestions."