What is the WindRunner shirt from Helikon-Tex?
It's an ultralight, Nylon long sleeve shirt that looks more like a jacket, it features a DWR coating and was designed to block wind and LIGHT rain.
This is Luke's Agenda Free Review.
Merch Store :
Want to support TOGR, buy a shirt, hoodie, hat, etc.
Merch Store : https://the-outdoor-gear-review.myspreadshop.com/
Want to send something to TOGR?
TOGR - PO Box 111
7378 Old US 421 S
Deep Gap, NC 28618
Note : I Don't Live Here :D
Real Review Helikon-Tex WindRunner : https://amzn.to/3jpC1wB
Additional Links :
Camera Gear :
- Sony A7IV : https://amzn.to/3vWtLHR
- Sony 20mm 1.8 Lens : https://amzn.to/3AcFq80
- Sony 35mm 1.8 Lens : https://amzn.to/3BFs8iZ
- SIRUI Carbon Fiber Travel 5C Tripod : https://amzn.to/3BEahZX
- Batteries : https://amzn.to/3geFtG5
- Rode VideoMic Pro Plus Mic : https://amzn.to/3iZMqMO
- Fjällräven Vidda Pro Ventilated Pants : https://amzn.to/3ytuwYw
- Old Navy Shirt : oldnavy.com
- Vasque Juxt Multi-Sport Shoes : https://amzn.to/3DbNTK9
- Darn Tough Socks : https://amzn.to/3mx20A5
- Arcteryx Conveyor Belt : https://amzn.to/3QSnzsi
- Patagonia Men's Micro D Full Zip Sweater : https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-micro-d-fleece-jacket/26171.html
- Smartwool Merino Wool Hat : : https://amzn.to/3feJv0Y
- IO Merino Wool Mask : No Longer Available
- Knit Gloves Base :
- Permethrin for Clothing and Gear : https://amzn.to/37V3FvQ
- Kershaw Cryo II Folding Knife : https://amzn.to/2Sej6aD
- Garmin Instinct Solar GPS Watch : https://amzn.to/3GvkPMC
- Oakley Sunglasses : https://amzn.to/2WcOGYm
If you purchase anything from the links above, you will be supporting the channel through a small commission on Amazon. Thank you for the support and remember, TOGR is 100% Agenda Free.
100% Agenda Free :
This channel is Agenda Free and is fully supported by the viewers.
Support TOGR through Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/TOGR
Support TOGR through YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpmbA7yNOl7aTj_ffkaWWag/join
Helikon-Tex Windrunner Windshirt Review
Windpack Nylon - I haven’t found any specifics about this material other than it is a tightly woven nylon
Sizes : X-Small to XX-Large
Colors : Lots of options : Coyote, Alpha Green, Black, Shadow Grey and some camo colors.
Price : Retail price is $70 - watch out for some sites, Military 1st is selling this for $113 which is a complete ripoff.
Review Pros :
Quality - There are no issues with loose threads, the stitching is perfect and in general, everything looks great.
Very small pack size
Wind Resistant - does a great job of blocking breezes but I wouldn’t call this windproof.
Water resistant - Definitely not waterproof but for a quick run through the rain it will bead and run off. You’ll have to reapply the DWR over time and it’s worth doing so in my opinion.
Ventilation is very good - you have vents under the arms and you can open up the pockets for additional airflow.
I like the Practical design of the shirt - there’s nothing fancy or gimmicky here.
Holds in some body heat which is nice in colder conditions.
Holds in some heat without being exceptionally hot - I’m someone who runs how and I really appreciate that.
High quality materials
Review Cons :
No Athletic fit available - when wearing the shirt, it simply hangs off of your shoulders and doesn’t have any sort of taper. In other words, it would look a bit more flattering if there was a waist taper.
The Sizing runs large - I normally wear a medium to large and I had to get a small for this to fit correctly. Even with a small, there is enough space underneath for a sweater. I would suggest to Helkion-Tex to reexamine their sizing as it’s off. I have the Wolfhound jacket from HT as well and the sizing was really off on it.
Pulling the shirt over your head can be difficult
As I mentioned, this is wind resistant but I wouldn't call it windproof by any means. In stronger gusts, unfortunately I don’t have a rating for you but in stronger gusts you will feel the wind coming through the materials. There are other windbreakers that are out on the market that work substantially better than this but there is a trade off and that’s weight.
Fragile material -
Come Join Us on Facebook, Twitter Instagram :
Twitter : https://twitter.com/OutdoorGearRev
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/theoutdoorgearreview/