Support TOGR with Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/TOGR
Fire from Sugar?
7 Minute Match?
Hot or Not?
Find out Now.
This is the review of the UCO Sweetfire Strikable Fire Starter.
UCO Link : https://www.ucogear.com/sweetfire-strikeable-fire-starter-mt--sfp
Amazon Link : https://www.amazon.com/UCO-SweetFire-Strikeable-Firestarter-Piece/dp/B01L2V5E6A
Price on Amazon : $7.30
Price on UCO : $5.99
Weight Per Package : 4.7oz
Weight per Match : .2 of an oz
5 tenders are 1oz
Tip : Light and then hold at a downward angel to light the others sides
The Sweetfire Strikeable Fire Starter is not only sweet for your gear collection, it's sweet for the planet. Made from a sugarcane by-product called bagasse, this key ingredient is already used around the world as a renewable biofuel. Each of these match points (there are 20 per box) is infused with vegetable wax to allow for up to 7 minutes of burn time per each point. There's also no need to bring matches to light the Sweetfire as each match point has a strikeable tip that can conveniently be used with the striker on the box.
It’s not a match but rather a strikeable fire starter and therefore bridges functions between a match and a compressed fiber fire starter
- Small form factor
- In the right conditions they can burn for a long time.
- Can carry many without much added weight
- No strong odor like some similar products
- Easy start for a fire or wood stove (good weather)
- Long burn time – UCO claims 7 minutes and I have gotten up to 10 with my testing. When pushing passed the 6 minute or so mark the flame isn’t very hot or effective.
- Burns when wet and in rain/snow
- Environmentally sustainable product
- Can be lit with a ferro rod if you take the time to scrap some of the fuel into a pile.
- Can be lit with a lighter
- Strike point is not waterproof and will get gummy if damp enough.
- Match will absorb water if exposed and will fall apart…but can still be lighted with a lighter
- No windproof – will need shelter in the wind
- Not strike-anywhere
- Cost/unit higher than alternatives
For calm weather and for wood stoves, these are awesome. You could wake in the morning, grab one of these, throw it in your stove, put some wood on it and go brush your teeth, use the bathroom, then come back and your water is boiling.
These are great in good weather, not the best in rough conditions.
Make the striking point storm proof as this would make the product much more usable
Great for perfect weather conditions.
Situations where you can do a better job at keeping them dry